Girls

Girls

Monday, April 4, 2011

A Rough Couple of Weeks

This little cutie's been super sick! 
Poor Savannah has had a rough couple of weeks. I had mentioned before that Savannah came down with a bit of a cold and a cough several weeks ago. Her pediatrician saw her and said it seemed to be a run of the mill cold. Savannah seemed to get better, but her cough never quite went away. At her 4 month well visit I mentioned that her cough was still lingering, but the doctor assured me that it wasn't anything to worry about, since her lungs sounded clear, there was no wheezing, and the cough wasn't worsening. A few days later, Matt said that he heard some really deep sounding coughs from her after she went down to bed. The next morning I was concerned when I heard the same deep, croup-like cough. She also began wheezing. Another visit to the pediatrician revealed that she had developed bronchiolitis and probably croup. She was given a shot of a steroid to help her get over the croup and we were given a list of things to watch for, like difficulty breathing and loss of appetite.
Unfortunately, Savannah continued to worsen and we wound up in the emergency room with her when she began to have difficulty breathing. Savannah tested positive for RSV and wound up in the hospital from Sunday -Thursday (we were discharged at one point but wound up back in the ER at 2 a.m. when she became worse than we had ever seen before.) The poor little baby was given an oral steriod (one that I have been given many times for asthma), breathing treatments through a nebulizer, and for awhile, oxygen to help her out. Thankfully, she was able to come off of the oxygen and be sent home with her own little nebulizer machine.
She has now been home for over a week and is much improved! I haven't been using her nebulizer for the past few days, and she shows no difficulty with her breathing. She continues to cough and is currently getting over a case of hives (as if the poor little thing didn't have enough problems!) We are so thankful for the improvement in her health. The past few weeks were so miserable for Savannah and were downright scary for her Mom and Dad!
Unfortunately, the doctors think Savannah has asthma, which made the RSV so difficult for her to get through. Many babies outgrow infant asthma and we are hoping and praying that this is the case for Savannah! For now, though, we are treating her like an asthmatic and keeping her away from common asthma triggers (cold air, pets, dust, dander, smoke, etc.) We also need to keep her away from crowded public places and other children for awhile, until she is completely healed. So Miss Savannah and I are spending an awful lot of time cooped up in the house! Hopefully she will be 100% by the time it really warms up so we can enjoy summer together.
Oh, and as far as the sleep issues Savannah was having...well, they are much worse since she's been sick! Poor thing! Although, I'm not stressing out about her sleep situation right now; I'm just focusing on getting her healthy! Once she's well, I'll worry about the fact that she now only sleeps in Mommy's bed and won't nap longer than 25 minutes unless I lay with her! Right now, I'm just thankful that she can breathe easily and stay out of the hospital!
I just had to add this funny picture! Savannah nodded off while playing yesterday afternoon - you can see she is still holding on to her toy! Too cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment