Girls

Girls

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Soaking up the Sun

Oh, how I love the sun! Savannah does, too; her favorite word is "sunshine," and we've been getting plenty of it the last few days! Savannah has finally adjusted nicely to her one-nap-per-day schedule and has no problem making it until 12 or 12:30 to take a nap, which has left our mornings free to play! With this beautiful weather that we've been having we've been walking to the neighborhood park, riding up and down our street in her whisper ride buggy (well she rides - I push!), drawing with sidewalk chalk, chasing bubbles around the backyard, enjoying picnics at the lake (Nana was able to join us for this one!), and playing with her new water table on the back patio. I was even able to enjoy my Bible study and a glass of raspberry lemonade on the back patio one day this week during nap time (on a day where I didn't have a work assignment) and it was bliss!

Being able to enjoy fresh air and sunshine has really lifted both my spirits and Savannah's, too! I mentioned in my last post that we've been having some challenges lately with Savannah's behavior, but now that she's been able to get outside and burn off energy I have noticed a big increase in positive behavior and a decrease in negative behavior - praise the Lord! I also find that I have more patience on these days, too, which I'm sure helps quite a bit! The one thing that surprises me, though, is that with the beginning of summer upon us Savannah is sleeping quite a bit less. She is staying up later (usually in bed by 7:30 but not falling asleep until 8) but is up super early, right around 6 each morning. She then goes, goes, goes alllllllll morning long and her one nap starts around 12/12:30 and is usually between 2-2.5 hours. Even with less sleep, though, she has been behaving much more nicely, which leads me to believe that she is just starting to require less sleep. It's fun to have more time to play with her, but it is a little rough on me to have less nap time each day (since that is when I do the majority of my work) and also to be up so early allllllll the time! Since she seems happy and well rested, I guess Mama just needs to go with the flow on this new sleep schedule!

Playing in Nana's backyard!

Enjoying a snack on the porch swing with her Uncle Frank.
Being able to play at the park with Savannah is allowing me to see what a little social butterfly she can be! She plays with other babies her age every week at church nursery, but I'm not in there with her to see how she interacts with them. I'm always given the report that she is super happy and does well with others (there are several volunteers who actually get thrilled each time that they see Savananh because she is the "happiest baby ever"), but I don't often get to see her playing with other little ones. At the park Savannah does not seem shy at all! She runs up to everyone exclaiming "Babbbbbbyyyy!!!" (anyone 12 and under is a baby to her!). The other day there was another little girl just her size and the two of them wound up holding hands and playing together, which Savannah just loved. The next day she tried to hold hands the same way with a little girl who was a bit older, and that little girl wasn't quite as into running around with Savannah and wound up pulling her hand away! Poor Savannah. :) Savannah is also getting braver with the swings, slides, and climbing on the various equipment. Mom is always a step behind her, though!


I am very thankful that summer is here and that we get to escape the house much more and enjoy exploring together. Last summer was fun, as Savananh was able to enjoy going on walks, swinging a bit, and also going on some day trips with Matt and I. But this summer is going to be WAY more fun now that Savannah is walking and running and climbing and talking and learning and interacting with the world around her in a whole new way! I'm hoping that we can make the most of our time this summer, especially once Matt is done with school in a few weeks and around several extra days each week!

I also need to remember to bring my camera when we are out exploring so that I can document the fun we have! The only outside pictures I have right now are ones that my mom has taken. So....stay tuned for more posts and pictures about all the fun we are having! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment