Last week Hailey had her 15 month check-up. As usual, I had both kids with me. This particular appointment was the worst experience I have ever had with the two of them in a doctor's office!!! Read on to see why...
The morning started well enough. We all got dressed, had breakfast, and tidied up. We had a little while before our appointment, but instead of just killing time at home, I decided to take the girls on a trip to the library before we headed to the doctor. (We usually go to the library once each week.) So we headed to the library to return last week's books and movies, check out a few more, and play for a bit. It was a sunny day and everyone seemed in a great mood!
After the library we loaded up and drove over to the appointment. Our wait in the waiting room was pretty short and we got called back to the exam room. The nurse began by getting Hailey's weight, length, and head circumference. This is when things started going downhill! Unlike the last time Hailey was in for a check-up and was relatively okay with everything, this time she apparently did not like the nurse touching her and doing her thing because she started screaming her head off. This was bad enough, but then Hailey's screaming and carrying on (which was quite loud) scared Savannah and she started crying in fear. She was telling me, "Mommy, pick her up! Pick her up!" while the nurse tried to get the measurements. I assured her that Hailey was in no pain and was just mad about lying down on the exam table, but it did nothing to calm her fears. When the nurse left Savannah jumped up in a panic and said, "Mommy, let's get out of here!!" I told her we had to wait for the doctor. Just then the nurse popped back in and said, "Here is some information for you on the two shots she'll be getting today." Well, as soon as Savannah heard the word shots she melted down even further. Even though she knew the shots weren't for her, she was so scared for Hailey.
The doctor came in to the sound of my girls both crying as loud as can be. We talked a bit and then he had to examine Hailey.....cue Hailey to begin screaming bloody murder again. Then Savannah starts grabbing at my arm (while I hold Hailey on my lap), crying and frantically whispering, "Mommy, let's get out of here! Let's get out of here!" I could barely hear anything the doctor was saying to me. When his exam was over he practically ran out of the exam room. That's when Savannah realized what was coming next....shots. She was pretty much hysterical at this point. The nurses came in with the shots and when they realized that Savannah was afraid to watch her sister get poked one of them asked Savannah if she would like to go out to the waiting room for this part to look at the fish. Savannah practically ran out of there! (They pulled someone out of the office to sit with her.) Thank goodness Savannah was not in the room because Hailey's screams were ear piercing. One of the nurses exclaimed "Oh my goodness!"
After that I pretty much gathered up my sniffling, traumatized children (who finally were not screaming and crying now that it was all over) and got out of there as fast as I could!! I recounted the story to my mom later and told her that in November, when both girls are due for check-ups again, I was going to schedule them separately and have her watch the girl who is not going in so that I can deal with one screaming, hysterical child at a time. (Savannah will need to get her own round of vaccines at her appointment and I am dreading it with every fiber of my being.) I wish I could have Matt come with us the next time, but he is always working during office hours so it just doesn't work.
Anyway, despite the drama, Hailey checked out as healthy as can be. She fell even more in her growth percentiles but the doctor isn't worried. It just seems that she is probably going to be very petite.
Height: 30 1/4 inches (33%)
Weight: 19 lb 5 oz (20%)
So there you have it....one of those very unpleasant, awful stay-at-home mom days that everyone has from time to time. I'm just glad it's over!!
Ava is 5th% and 3rd% for height and weight. At least they are girls. (For the height factor)
ReplyDelete