Girls

Girls

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Halloween 2014

This year for Halloween, I had kind of hoped to dress the girls up as something girly and princessy. Savannah, though, was not interested in being a princess. She is really, really into animals these days and so she told me that she wanted to be a puppy. I looked around but wasn't really seeing any puppy costumes that I liked or that I thought were girly enough. I took to Pinterest and found some cute dalmatian puppy costumes with tutus, and Savannah and I both loved them. After looking some more I found that Gymboree actually carried a Dalmatian puppy costume for little girls this year with a tutu, but there were two main problems with it. First of all, the costume was a short sleeved top, tights, and tutu. It didn't look very warm at all! Secondly, it was super expensive! I wanted to dress both girls as puppies, so I was looking at over $100 if I chose to get both girls the Gymboree costumes. No thanks!

What I did do was order the headband pieces from Gymboree. Then Savannah and I went to Target to get white long-sleeved tops and leggings and to Hobby Lobby to purchase black felt squares, white tulle, and red ribbon. I cut the felt into black circles and hot glued them on to the leggings and shirts and then made each girl a knot tutu from the tulle and ribbon. I have to say, I'm quite proud of these costumes! I'm not a crafty person. I'm not good at crafting and I don't particularly enjoy it, so I was worried about taking on this project. I started a little more than a month before Halloween, so I had plenty of time to work on this project bit by bit and not rush. Also, I actually did enjoy myself! This isn't something I'd want to do all the time, but to do it for my own girls was actually pretty fun.

The actual day of Halloween was freezing! My girls and I went to a Trick or Treat party at the library that morning, and they had fun hearing stories and rhymes and then trick or treating around the library. We had also planned to trick or treat with friends around the neighborhood later in the day, but it was so cold it didn't happen. Instead we took the girls to a nearby assisted living community and let them trick or treat there, then they came back and went to one neighbor's house, and that was it. I had hoped they could Trick or Treat a bit more, but they were satisfied and they didn't need any more candy as it was. Overall, it was a fun day!

At the library. Hailey was upset that I asked her to sit for a picture!

She's off!

We took pictures of the girls' costumes on a warm day the week of Halloween.

Love those tutus!

My cute little puppy!


No comments:

Post a Comment