Girls

Girls

Monday, October 14, 2013

Back to Work!

In addition to being a full-time stay-at-home mama, I'm also back to being a part-time work-at-home mama!! While I was pregnant with Savannah I began working from home as a transcriptionist for an awesome company, and I did this part-time throughout my pregnancy and the first 20 months or so of her life. When I got pregnant with Hailey I took a temporary leave during the first half of the pregnancy because I was so sick and weak that I could barely leave the couch most days, and just when I was talking about going back I started up with the pre-term labor and landed myself on bed rest! The first few months of Hailey's life were of course just about surviving and adjusting, but about a month ago I contacted my boss about coming back, and she graciously allowed me to do so!

I've been back at "work" for about two weeks now, and it's a juggling act for sure! The awesome thing about this work is that I do it from home (!!!!), so I never need to miss a moment with my girls, and I can work around their schedule completely. I let my editor know how much work I can handle on a given day, and then I do that work when I am able. I mostly work during the noon nap time when both girls are sleeping, evenings, and weekends (while Matt plays with/takes care of the girls). Sometimes when Hailey is taking her morning or late afternoon nap, I can also work a little while Savannah plays quietly in the same room as me. I do have deadlines to meet, but ultimately when I choose to do the work is up to me. I love that I don't have to leave the house and I don't have to leave my children with a babysitter. The past two weekends I did have to work a bit, but whenever I missed the girls I would just pop out of my "office" (which is a nook in my bedroom where my desk fits) and could give them hugs and kisses, nurse the baby, and then pop back into my office to finish up what I needed to do.

It's also nice to be able to have something to do that is a little bit different from mothering and keeping the household, that uses a different part of my brain that I sometimes feel is sitting stagnant! I am working on figuring out how I can still keep up with the housework and also keep up the energy for playdates and things, as I'm finding that much more challenging now with the added demands on my time. The transcription business is very much "feast or famine," meaning that there is either tons of work to do or periods where the work is scarce. Right now I have as much work as I can handle, which is awesome for our bank account, but not so awesome for the cleanliness of my house!

Ultimately, I am super, super thankful to be able to have this work-from-home opportunity. It feels good to be able to contribute financially (and I know my husband appreciates that!) and I really do enjoy the work. Now to just find the energy to keep the house clean and those playdates scheduled....

No comments:

Post a Comment