Girls

Girls

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Savannah is THREE!!

Oh my goodness, my firstborn baby is three!! It feels absolutely crazy that three whole years have passed since she entered the world late on a chilly November night and made me a mommy for the first time. If I think too much about how big she is getting and how quickly it is all going I will get mushy and cry, so I will instead focus on what a fun little girl she is becoming!!

Three feels much, much different than two. She is not really a baby now but is turning into a very smart little preschooler. She's had the daytime potty training thing down for over a year and also ditched the nighttime pull-ups several months ago. Her verbal communication has completely taken off in the last year and her vocabulary has grown by leaps and bounds (and continues to grow!) She recently saw something scary looking and rather than calling it "scary" she said, "That is horrifying!" If she hears a word that she doesn't know she is quick to ask me what it means and then try it out. I was listening to a sermon recently while she was in the room and she asked me, "Mom, what does sacrifice mean?" Now that was a tough one!


It is so much fun to actually have conversations with Savannah now, and I'm really enjoying that part of this new stage! However, there are also some not-so-good parts that seem to be coming with this new age. I always wondered why people said "terrible twos," because I found age two to be quite delightful. I am now learning that the "terrible threes" are what I should have been afraid of! Savannah is definitely challenging my authority at every turn these days, constantly seeing what she can get away with and testing the boundaries on everything. She also loves to argue and get in a "war of words" with me, if you will, which can be quite exhausting. I am praying constantly for wisdom in how to guide her and discipline her, and it is definitely challenging!



Savannah is definitely a girly girl. She loves to wear pink, pearls, and anything with glitter. She loves dresses and bows. She is obsessed with Disney princesses and knows all of them by name. Her favorite toys in the house are her Disney Princess Songs Palace (which was a gift for her second birthday) and her Disney Princess Klip Klop Stable (which was a gift for her third birthday). She also likes playing with baby dolls and her pretend "hair fixin'" set, as she calls it (a hair dryer, straightener, curling iron, brush, etc.)

At the same time, she loves to be outside more than just about anything else (and unfortunately, it seems like it is going to be a loooooong winter). She loves to run and kick and throw balls, and she actually seems to have some athletic ability! (Unlike me!) She also really likes to play at the park, although she is currently scared of swings.

Savannah is a great big sister, although she doesn't like for Hailey to touch her (I'm not really sure why). I think things are about to get interesting in that regard, as Hailey is now on the move. Savannah is super independent and likes to do everything herself, although at the same time she can get in whiny/clingy moods and insist that I have to help her or do things for her (this is usually if she is nervous and out of her comfort zone, or tired).


One unfortunate happening is that Savannah has been sick lately and we are getting a pretty definitive asthma diagnosis for her. She had breathing problems as a baby but then had done well for the past two winters, but it seems now that her "reactive airway" issues are showing their true colors. We have had to use albuterol quite a bit with the colds she has been getting and have had to also add a daily preventive asthma medication. For now I am having to keep her out of her classes at church because I can't have her catching any more respiratory illnesses until she is stronger and her cough is gone for good. She just told me today that she really misses her church friends, which broke my heart. I am praying that she will be well soon and that she will stay well!

We love our sweet Savannah Rose, and I could go on and on, but I will stop for now. :) I can't wait to see what this new year holds for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment