Our summer break is about to come to a close. Although I am a little apprehensive about the cooler weather on the way and cold and flu season starting, I am mostly looking forward to starting our school year and jumping back into a routine. We've made lots of great memories this summer as a family and we have enjoyed lots of outside time and a slower pace, but at this point the girls seem to just fight more than anything, and I think too much unstructured time is just taking its toll on us! Not too mention, all of the chasing them around parks and splash pads and beaches and the time spent in the hot sun is wearing me out! I'm not as young as I used to be. ;)
The following are a bunch of miscellaneous photos from my phone that capture some of the events of the past few weeks!
 |
Savannah took this one of Hailey practicing her "ballet" one morning after breakfast. |
 |
| She was also wearing her ballerina jammies. |
 |
This was on the way to Kohl's to shop for "back to school" clothes. (Really, just fall clothes because both girls have grown and needed new things!) |
Below is a picture of the girls standing in their new nightgowns that they got. I have to tell the story of the nightgown saga. We went shopping as a family for fall clothes for both girls and also for Matt as he heads back to school. Savannah needed the most things, as almost everything from last fall is too short on her now. Hailey has a big bin of 2T hand-me-downs waiting for her, but I still planned to get her a few new things, too, like I always do. Anyway, we first went to the little girl's department and picked out things for Savannah and then to the toddler section to pick out things for Hailey. Then we went to the men's section. While Matt was trying on clothes, I sorted through all of the little girl clothing in our basket. We had a LOT of stuff and while everything was on sale and we had like three different coupons to use, I started to get a bit nervous about what the final bill would be! So I sorted through everything and removed a few items that I didn't deem "essential" for fall. One non-essential was a set of nightgowns for Hailey. They were more of a next summer item, and although the price was great, I put them back. There was a nightgown for Savannah in the cart, but I decided to keep that one, because she has actually been kind of low on jammies all summer and I figured she was more in need of extra ones.
Well, that night after baths, Savannah put on her new nightgown and Hailey was handed an old pair of shorts and a t-shirt to put on (she doesn't have any nightgowns). Her little eyes got so big and her little lip came out and she started saying, "Where my pretty nightgown? I want pretty nightgown like ballerina. I want pretty nightgown like Sissy." She didn't whine or throw a fit - she just seemed beyond sad with tears threatening to spill from her eyes. Matt and I exchanged a look and told her that we would get her a nightgown from the store. She said, "You go to store now, Mommy? Get me pretty nightgown?" Well, we told her we would go another day and put them to bed, but we both felt like the worst parents ever. Our poor hand-me-down child was so devastated not to have a new nightgown!!
We felt so bad that around 8:30 Matt ran out to Kohl's again and bought two nightgowns for her. We planned to surprise her in the morning. As soon as she woke up in the morning, the first thing we heard was her saying to Savannah, "I no have pretty nightgown. I want pretty nightgown," and Savannah telling her, "Maybe you'll get one another time, Hailey." Also, she had been crying in her sleep during the night. Now, I can never prove that she was dreaming sad nightgown-less dreams, but I think that's what was happening!! When we heard her so sad in the morning we called her into our room and surprised her with the nightgowns and she was ecstatic and changed into one right away. That, my friends, is the nightgown saga. I felt awful but I'm glad the poor sweetie has her nightgowns now. :)
 |
| She is just so sweet. |
 |
| We've had lots of park time this summer! |
 |
One morning we babysat our friend Danny so his mom could go to the doctor. He came bright and early so he joined us for breakfast. |
 |
I tried out this neat braid. I love how it looks. The sides were all bumpy, though, and Savannah hasn't let me try to do it again. |
 |
On my birthday we took the girls to see the Minion movie. Savannah used the handrail as a ballet barre during the previews. |
 |
| Love this girl! |
 |
Practicing to be flower girls in their Uncle Frank's wedding. Another post on the wedding will be coming once I get the pictures from my mom. |
 |
| Haircuts at Mommy's salon in preparation for the wedding! |
 |
| Hailey's first time at the salon! |
 |
| We tried out a sock bun. It was adorable but fell out right away. |
 |
Since then Savannah has decided she doesn't want me to do her hair anymore. :( Every day she tells me "Only a regular pony tail!" It makes me sad! |
 |
| Bubbles and chalk on the driveway. |
 |
| Cutie pie after a bath. |
 |
| She asked her sister to hold her. |
So the trick to the sock bun...tons of pins and hairspray. I have to do it twice a week for Ava and was doing it everyday (ok...it just felt like it :P) in June. I used to get super frustrated because Ava's hair doesn't hold well but if you use a rubber band after you get the hair into the bun then bobby pin the heck out of it, it holds well. And spray the hair before you start with hair spray. Hard to explain but after doing it a million times I finally got her hair to hold up long enough for classes and performances! :)
ReplyDelete