Today we began week five of our homeschool curriculum, and our book of the week was "Harry the Dirty Dog." Savannah is familiar with the story because we have the Scholastic DVD, but she had not yet read the book. When she came down the stairs this morning I had the book set out on her school table (I always do this on the first school day of each week to surprise her) and she said, "What??! Is Harry the Dirty Dog our book of the week?!?!" She was so excited. She watched the DVD while I got breakfast ready. After we put Hailey down for our morning nap we started our school time, beginning with our Bible lesson. When it was time for the book of the week we read our story and then Savannah did a coloring page (where she had to color a clean Harry and a dirty Harry). Then I showed her an activity that I found on Pinterest and set up for her. I called it the "bath station." On her tray I had her small plastic dog (along with some other small animals), a soapy water dish, a clean water dish, a scrubbing washcloth, and a drying washcloth. Just like Harry got a bath in the story, I told Savannah she could give her doggy and other animals a bath. I showed her how to clean the with the scrubbing waschloth in the soapy dish, then rinse them in the other dish and dry them off. I knew she would love this activity! Her eyes lit up and she sat at her little table and got right to work!! She played for an hour! I had to refill the water dishes several times for her. At one point I had to have her take a break so that we could do calendar time and work on her letters of the week, which we had not done yet, and then she returned to play with the "bath station" some more. She asked if she could please do this activity every day this week, to which I of course said yes. It was so fun to watch her enjoying herself so immensely with such a simple activity! Here are the pictures from today:
 |
| Coloring a dirty Harry and a clean Harry. |
 |
| Having fun washing her animals! |
 |
She was wearing jammies because we're all getting over colds and she likes to be comfy when she's not feeling 100%! |
Looks like your homeschool days are so fun!! I've been meaning to do an activity like that with Caleb for a while but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe this post will be enough motivation to get me moving! :)
ReplyDeleteTiffani, it is so fun! I love these preschool years - everything we do is play-based so it doesn't really feel like "work" or "school" to either of us! :) Check out abcjesusloves.com - the curriculum is free and there is a two-year-old and three-year-old curriculum, too! I find that most of the work is done for me, so I just need to lay out the basic plan for the morning and gather some materials, and we're set to go! :)
ReplyDelete