Lately I keep thinking about Savannah's first birthday - in less than 4 months, she'll be one! I literally cannot even wrap my head around that fact! I've got lots of ideas for making her first birthday special and memorable, and I'm going to have so much fun planning a special day for her over these next few months. In addition to thinking about that first party, I've also been reflecting on the past 8 months and what it means to be her mommy.
Being Savannah's mommy is both wonderful and challenging. When I think back on the journey, I remember first finding out that we were expecting, and then finding out that it was a little girl. I remember the 9 months of pregnancy and all the evenings that I spent laying in bed, feeling like I had the flu that would never end. I remember the kicks and flutters. I remember the exhilaration of meeting her for the first time; I stayed up the whole entire night just marveling at her. I remember the many, many, many sleepless nights; I wondered if I would ever sleep or feel like a normal human being again! Then there were the first few weeks with her, when we would snuggle all day long. I remember first experiencing a mother's worry when her little one is sick. Then there was the absolute joy and pride that I felt each time she did something new (she smiled!! she's a genius!)
Becoming Savannah's Mommy has been hands down one of the most wonderful things to have ever happened to me. I'm forever changed. When I used to be a teacher, I remember being somewhat puzzled as to why each mom seemed to think that her child was the best and brightest. I also would feel a twinge of annoyance on the first day of school, when those same moms would press anxious faces against the classroom windows, causing a distraction as I so diligently tried to establish a sense of order in the classroom. Well, now I totally get it. I absolutely think Savannah is the most gorgeous, intelligent, lovable little girl around. Inside and out, I think she's just perfect. And when I dropped her off in the church nursery for the first time a few weeks ago, it took all that I had not to run out of the service and press my anxious face against the nursery windows, just to reassure myself that she was okay.
Savannah Rose, it is such a joy and privilege to be your mommy! I love you, baby girl, forever and always. Jesus loves you too, baby, and I pray that you will choose to follow Him and always walk in His truth. Right now you're just my squishy little baby, but before I know it you'll be running circles around the house. Don't grow up too fast, okay? Mommy's heart just can't take it! I'm going to savor these next four months of your infancy, and then we get to have a blast celebrating your first birthday! I love you, love you, love you!
Forever and Always,
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment